Thursday, November 23, 2006

Progesterone Poisoning

Well here I sit, trying once again to figure out what the heck I can stomach for lunch. In my former life I loved food. All kinds of delicious meals, desserts, you name it, if it was decadent I was all over it. In my newly pregnant life I get to play the game of deciding what type of food I can stand to bring to my mouth and swallow (because getting it into my mouth is only half the battle).

A wise wise woman, Vicki Iovine, said in "The Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy: Or everything your doctor won't tell you" that morning sickness would be far more accurately called "Progesterone Poisoning." I have been very fortunate to have not yet seen any foods I've eaten twice, but I am living in a world of constant nausea. I've heard it described as similar to seasickness or motionsickness. Very true.

I have been a bad mommy-to-be so far. I thought I'd be oh-so-helpful and load syringes for Jeff as we vaccinated calves and realized after about 25 or so syringes that I really shouldn't be handling cattle vaccines, much less attempting to keep the needles warm so they wouldn't break as easily in our sub-zero climate. Fortunately I figured this out before anything bad happened and I switched jobs with my aunt who was visiting. Moving calves up to the chute was far less risky.

It's a difficult task to try to catch myself before I do something that I would have done before without hesitation and is now considered risky to the health and well-being of our little Farm Baby who is today 7 weeks along (5 weeks old).

2 Comments:

At 12:24 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't worry, I'll always give you an ear full if I think you are doing something you aren't supposed to do! :)

 
At 11:28 a.m., Blogger Unknown said...

You are doing fine! Don't forget that the rules change all the time. I gave drugs during my pregnancy with Emm (and crushed the pills, potentially inhaling the mutating dust) that I wasn't allowed to be in the same room with during my pregnancy with Char.

By the way...WHY didn't you tell me you have a blog????? Bad girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home